Monday, March 27, 2017

ADDING ONE MORE

SLAB FOOTED BOWLS
CERAMICS I
clay, glaze, oxides

I was going thru my pictures this weekend 
and found one more Slab Footed Bowl that I really want to share.
It was made by junior Ylia Madayag and it's gorgeous.
Everything that Ylia makes is incredible
 but
sadly a piece chipped off the rim of this before it made it into the kiln for the Bisque firing,
and couldn't be repaired.
So I suggested to Ylia to chip off more pieces all the way around. 
It was scary but she did it and balanced the top rim out.
But it was the way she glazed it that really made it come alive.
Ylia stained it with Cobalt Carbonate,
wiped off the stain from the top surface so that the oxide remained in her crevices,
then dipped it into the Transparent glaze.
Then she went back over top the glaze with a brush dipped into Cobalt
 and put even more oxide into her incised areas to achieve a remarkable look.

You should have heard the oohs and ahhs when it came out of the kiln.
:) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh, it is beautiful. I'm "oohing" and "ahhing" all the way from Maui.

    Isn't it amazing how sometimes the universe guides us to beautiful results if we're brave enough to listen. Some of my work I've loved the best have been nudges away from my intentions.

    Thank you so much for sharing.

    Hunter

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brave souls ... to suggest breaking off edges and then to actually do the deed! I love how the impressed pattern has a shattered look to it, too.

    ReplyDelete